This post is sponsored by the Holiday Baking promotion at Publix. The opinions and text are all mine.
‘Tis the season, and everyone is trying to decide what to bring to grandmas for Christmas dinner. If you are on the hook for sweets this year, I have just the treat for you! This 2 Layer Merry Christmas cake is my very own original recipe and is sure to wow the family!
Betty Crocker Vanilla Cake Mix (and all of the ingredients to make on the back of the box)
Two 8″ round cake pans
2 Jars of Betty Crocker Vanilla Icing
Ghirardelli Premium Baking Bittersweet Chocolate
1 large Basket of Strawberries
1/2 Cup of sugar
Betty Crocker Sprinkles
any other Betty Crocker decorating items that you may want to personalize
- Make the Betty Crocker Cake. Use the instructions for two 8-inch round cakes. Once the cakes are ready, let them cool to room temperature.
- Slice your strawberries in rounds and dispose of the stems. Put your strawberries in a bowl.
- Pour the sugar over your strawberries and mix. Place your strawberry mixture in the fridge so that your strawberries can macerate for about 30 minutes.
- Once your cakes have cooled, flip them over on two separate plates so that the bottoms are exposed. Take a fork and poke a few holes on one of your cakes so that the strawberry mixture can saturate down into the bottom of your cake.
- With a spoon, dish out the syrup your strawberries made when they are macerated and pour it over the top of the cake that you poked holes into. Save some syrup from the second cake.
- Spread a thin layer of icing over the top of the cake that you have just poured your syrup over so that when you place your second cake layer on top, it will not slide.
- Place your second cake on top of the bottom cake. Be sure that the rounded (top) of the second cake is facing up so that your cakes meet bottom to bottom.
- Poke holes in the top of your second layer and spoon some more of your syrup on top.
- Then, cover the top and sides of your cake with icing.
- Melt the Ghirardelli chocolate and drizzle over the top.
- Place all of your strawberry rounds on top of your cake and top with sprinkles.
Now I have a little surprise for you, Publix is having a Holiday Baking promotion, and a few ingredients that are needed for my 2 Layer Merry Christmas Cake are on sale!
For a limited time, you can get 2 Ghirardelli Baking Bar 4-oz your choice for $4 and $1 off Any 1 Betty Crocker or Cake Mate Decorating Items (includes cupcake liners & sprinkles). So, head to your local Publix to grab them in-store and be sure to check out their Extra Savings flyer to see a complete list of product savings included in the Holiday Baking promotion.
If you don’t see the Extra Savings flyer in the kiosk at the store’s entrance, ask customer service for a flyer! Also, look for the at-shelf signs located throughout the store which highlight the savings during the promotion.
Want to share this recipe with your friends and family on Pinterest?
Pin the image below to your favorite Pinterest Board