Recently, I have taken a deep dive, trying to learn everything I can about spirituality as it pertains to religion and also trying to understand how different spiritual theories fit with my religious beliefs. As a result, I have gotten very in tuned with my spirituality. Recently, I booked a reiki healing session in which crystals were used for chakra healing. After the session I felt lighter, like the worry had been sucked right out of me. This got me thinking, if crystals are used for energy clearing, what would happen if crystals were worn. And then of course, I went down the rabbit hole of spiritual jewelry.
Bracelet Above: (Cavern Cuff Filigree Bracelet) Store your magic in this gemstone armored with a beetle and filigree to navigate tough times with grace. Ring Above: (Living Cicada Ring) Cicadas remind us that without spirit, there is no transformation. Cicada mythology is as diverse and ancient as the creature. Common themes include transformation, the death of an old self and birth of a new, and the spiritual ecstasy of this “becoming”. The Living Cicada ring summons the energy of these prophets of summer.
In this post, I am sharing 5 types of spiritual symbolism in jewelry, explaining the reasons for spiritual jewelry, and also sharing my favorite spiritual jewelry line, TrollBinde. But first, what is spiritual jewelry?
What is Spiritual Jewelry?
Spiritual jewelry refers to jewelry that is imbued with symbolic or spiritual significance and is often worn for spiritual or personal reasons. These pieces of jewelry are typically designed to represent or remind the wearer of their spiritual beliefs, values, or practices. They can be made from various materials, including precious metals, gemstones, and natural elements like wood or crystals. Here are some common types of spiritual jewelry and their meanings:
- Religious Jewelry: Many people wear jewelry that represents their faith or religious beliefs. For example, Christians may wear cross pendants, Muslims might wear a crescent moon and star symbol, and Buddhists may wear jewelry with the Dharma wheel or other Buddhist symbols.
- Chakra Jewelry: Chakras are energy centers in the body according to Hindu and New Age beliefs. Chakra jewelry often features gemstones that correspond to the different chakras, with the belief that wearing these stones can help balance and align one’s energy.
- Yoga Jewelry: Yoga practitioners often wear jewelry with symbols like the lotus flower, Om symbol, or mandalas to connect with their yoga practice and achieve inner peace and mindfulness.
- Protection Jewelry: Some spiritual jewelry is believed to offer protection from negative energies or harm. For example, the evil eye symbol is commonly used in protection jewelry across various cultures.
- Mala Beads: Mala beads are a string of beads, often made from gemstones or wood, used in meditation and prayer by Buddhists and Hindus. They are used to count repetitions of mantras and are considered sacred.
- Healing Crystal Jewelry: Crystals and gemstones are believed to have various healing properties in many spiritual and holistic practices. People wear jewelry with specific crystals to benefit from their perceived energy and healing properties.
- Talisman and Amulets: Some spiritual jewelry serves as talismans or amulets, believed to bring luck, protection, or specific benefits to the wearer. These can include symbols, inscriptions, or objects of significance.
- Personal Intentions: Some people create or wear spiritual jewelry with personal intentions, such as a specific mantra or affirmation. This jewelry is intended to serve as a constant reminder of their personal goals or intentions.
The meaning and significance of spiritual jewelry can vary widely depending on the individual’s beliefs and cultural background. For some, wearing such jewelry is a form of self-expression, while for others, it is a way to connect with their spirituality or seek protection and positive energy. Ultimately, the significance of spiritual jewelry is deeply personal and can hold different meanings for different people.
Necklace Above: (Crossroads Medallion) Cicada, spider and scarab understand the cosmic cycles and the process of their renewal through chaos. A luminous gemstone and one of these three noble creatures are mounted on this medallion.
5 Powerful Symbols Used in Spiritual Jewelry
Spiritual jewelry often incorporates powerful symbols that carry deep meaning and significance for the wearer. Here are five powerful symbols commonly used in spiritual jewelry:
- The Cross: The cross is one of the most widely recognized symbols in Christianity. It represents the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus Christ and is a symbol of faith, salvation, and the Christian journey. Cross pendants and necklaces are common forms of Christian spiritual jewelry.
- The Om Symbol: The Om symbol, often written as “ॐ,” is sacred in Hinduism, Buddhism, and Jainism. It represents the ultimate reality, consciousness, and the sound of the universe. Wearing Om symbol jewelry is believed to bring inner peace, spiritual growth, and harmony.
- The Lotus Flower: The lotus flower is a symbol of purity, enlightenment, and rebirth in many Eastern spiritual traditions, particularly in Buddhism and Hinduism. It represents the journey from darkness and ignorance to enlightenment and spiritual awakening. Lotus flower jewelry often features intricate and beautiful designs.
- The Tree of Life: The Tree of Life is a symbol that appears in various cultures and religions, including Christianity, Judaism, and ancient Egyptian beliefs. It typically represents the interconnectedness of all life, growth, and knowledge. Jewelry featuring the Tree of Life often includes a tree with branches and roots, symbolizing the unity of heaven and earth.
- The Eye of Horus or the Evil Eye: The Eye of Horus is an ancient Egyptian symbol of protection, royal power, and good health. In various cultures, it has been associated with warding off evil and negative energy. Similarly, the “evil eye” symbol is believed to protect against malevolent glares and negative influences. Jewelry featuring these symbols is worn for protection and warding off negativity.
These symbols can be incorporated into various types of jewelry, including pendants, bracelets, rings, and earrings. People often choose to wear these symbols to express their faith, beliefs, and values, as well as to connect with the spiritual and cultural heritage associated with each symbol. Each of these symbols carries its own unique energy and significance, making them powerful and meaningful choices for spiritual jewelry.
Necklace Above: (Trollbinde Cicada Queen Collar) Richly layered filigree and gemstones frame a golden Cicada Queen who has mastered the liminal realm. She has the power, patience and wisdom to renew herself cyclically. She is bestowed with the gift of an immortal soul, and emerges in the glory of her new form each time.
The designer behind Trollbinde jewelry, Hannah Black, breathes new life into abandoned materials from shuttered manufacturing mills. Her systematic process of transforming discarded bits and reimagining their otherworldly potential results in decorative and potent talismans and sacred symbols you can wear as part of your everyday armor. Combined with selected gemstones and earthly materials, Trollbinde produces modern majestic artifacts for any of your life’s journeys.