If you are an oyster lover like I am, you find yourself eating them every time you visit the seaside. I always hate throwing out the shells after eating them as I have some sort of attachment to the sentiment of the location, the fresh beach air breezing through my hair as I enjoy them on the boardwalk, and their beauty in general. I decided to save a couple oyster shells from my vacation of oyster eating to create beautiful art for my family and friends. In this post, I will share two of my favorite oyster art creations!
My two most favorite oyster creations are the canvas and the ring dish! I love the ring dish for a friend who has recently gotten engaged.
Before we get started, be sure to follow me on Instagram and click the DIY highlight in my profile for my latest video tutorial on how to decoupage oyster shells.
Oyster on Canvas Art
What You Will Need to Create Your Oyster on Canvas
Gold Leaf Sheet
Transparent Gorilla Glue
Acrylic Paint (Canvas Background)
Gold Metallic Acrylic Paint
Acrylic Paint Brushes
1. First, you will need to paint your canvas one color. Be sure to paint the sides as well. I love to use metallic colors for a more glamorous look. Another pretty look is to pain the canvas white. White and gold look beautiful together as well.
2. Once the paint is dry, paint a thick layer of mod podge over the canvas. Make sure to include all four sides.
3. While the Mod Podge is drying, paint a thin layer of gold metallic paint around the outside of your oyster shell.
4. Before the paint drys, pull pieces of gold foil from the foil sheet and place them on top of the wet paint so that it adheres to the rim of the shell.
5. Once you have added all of the gold foil, cover your oyster shell in Mod Podge. Be sure to apply the Mod Podge around the under rim where there is gold foil wrapped around to ensure that it dries into place.
6. After your shell dries, apply Gorilla Glue to the center of our canvas and place the shell in the glue. The Gorilla Glue will foam up and dry on to the shell to hold it into place.
7. Once the glue dries, you will have a super cute little oyster on a canvas. You can even purchase gold thumb tacks and put them all around the outside of the canvas.
Oyster Ring Dish
An oyster ring dish makes the perfect personal engagement gift. Making an oyster ring dish is super easy as you basically do steps 3 through 5 above. Choose an oyster shell that will sit upright on a counter and that is deep enough to hold a ring or, if for your office, one that will hold a few paper clips.
Oyster Art Option for Gold Accent
In this post I demonstrated how to use gold leaf for your oyster art pieces. If you would prefer a gold paint that really shines and stands out, check out my Oyster Decoupage DIY post!
Want to share this little project with your friends?
Pin the “pinnable” image below.
BAugust 30, 2022 at 11:16 am
Why did you mod podge the canvas? What effect does it have or create? I could not tell from the photos. Thank you
Alexandra NicoleAugust 30, 2022 at 11:31 pm
Hey there! Thank you for taking interest in my post. The gloss Mod Podge gives a pretty glossy sheen to the painted canvas. Without it, you will have more of a matte look.
Kelly A ShannonFebruary 17, 2023 at 2:34 pm
Stumbled upon your tutorial and am so thankful I did. Love that you are a fellow Southerner, too! Thank you, Alexandra! I cannot wait to try this out! It’s been on my “art bucket list” for a while <3
Alexandra NicoleFebruary 21, 2023 at 9:44 am
I am so glad you enjoyed the post! Thank you so much for your support. Let me know how your shells turn out. 🙂